Wednesday, May 2, 2012

No, Emma, the Cats Don't Want to Play

Some of the joys of fostering lie in the utter ridiculousness that living creatures exhibit at times. I think my favorite part of fostering is getting to know the various quirks and neuroses that each different foster animal brings into my home.


My sweet little foster baby Emma (known in my house as Emmy Lou Who) really seems to love other animals...all of them. But I think she may love them a little too much.

Since she was pregnant when I brought her home from the pound (VERY pregnant) and I didn't know her medical history, I wouldn't allow my large Rottie mix Lobo or any of the cats to go into the basement where she stays. And while we waited patiently (well, some of us waited not so patiently), Emmy seemed content to ignore the animals that would peer in at her from the basement door. She had bigger issues to concern herself with, like how she would ever get her figure back after giving birth to puppies that were clearly part Sasquatch

After the babies came, however, my little Emmy Lou Who made it known in no uncertain terms that she was entirely aware that there was a house full of animals that she did not have access to. She would talk, in a very animated manner, to the raccoons that knock over the trash cans and to the birds that build their nests under the upper deck, just oustide the basement door. And when my Lobo would peer in at her through the basement window, Emmy would have what I would describe as a doggy conniption.

Eventually, I relented and allowed Lobo into the basement to visit with Emmy, thinking there was a strong possibility that she may try to eat him. But I just wanted her to calm down and see he was not a threat to her or her babies. I did not, however, expect her to be so gleefully excited about finally meeting him that she would actually pee with joy. Yes, this little girl peed right where she stood when that giant of a bear came into the basement. And then she began playing. Since then, I have found that Emmy doesn't just love dogs. She also loves cats (and the cats are super-excited about that...).

Emmy now has free roam of the house on a regular basis. She still spends most of her time in the basement with her babies, but occasionally she will come upstairs for some Emmy Time. When she comes upstairs, she spends a full five minutes prancing excitedly in place like it's Christmas morning and she's looking at a tree full of presents with her name on them. When she finally regains her composure, she spends several more minutes going from animal to animal saying,
"Hi! Hi! I'm Emma! Hi! I remember you! You're a cat! I love cats! I'm a dog! My name is Emma! You can call me Emmy! Hi! Hi! Hi! Hi! Hi! Hi! Wanna play?"


No, Emma. No the cats don't want to play. They want me to give you a sedative.

Eventually, after she has made her rounds to greet Lobo and all the cats, she finds a suitable lap to cuddle in. Now, it doesn't really matter if there is already a computer or a book orrrrr a cat in that lap. Emmy manages to plop her cute little behind right down on top of who or whatever might already be there. And there she will stay for as long as she thinks she can leave the babies alone.

Currently, she is cuddled in my lap talking to her reflection in the window. Yep. She just knows there is a little grey Chihuahua staring in at her from outside and she really wants that dog to come in and say "Hi!"

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Emma is going to fit right into our family. I can not wait for her to talk to my other 'kids' and play with our cats.

    Julia M

    ReplyDelete